Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Little American


When Carter was here a few days ago, he found an American flag that I had bought a few weeks ago to use at the Tea Parties I attended.

He asked, "What's the name of this flag, Grandma?"

I was puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"What's its name?" he asked again.

I still didn't understand what he wanted to know "Well, it's an American flag."

"But what's its name?"

"United States? Is that what you mean?"

Haltingly he began in a hushed tone, "...of America ... Republic.. which it stands...." He was shyly looking down at the floor, flag in hand.

"What did you say?" I couldn't have heard that right. It sounded like...

"...Nation... under God...." he said quietly.

Almost apologetically, with a hint of a smile on his face, he finished, "...inavisible...liberty...justice for all."

My four year old grandson had just said the Pledge of Allegiance in the most reverent spirit I have ever heard it recited.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have a book about the Pledge of Allegiance. My 10 yr old son had it memorized when he was 3 but my 4 yr old son can't stay focused long enough to do it. The book doesn't hold his interest enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information
    you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.

    Try to check my blog: 휴게텔
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not that much оf a online reader tо be honest but your sites really nice, keep
    it up! I’?l go a?ead and ?ookmark your website to come back
    in the future. Cheers
    바카라


    >cc

    ReplyDelete