Monday, March 30, 2009

An educated woman's point of view

I was sent the text from this article in an email today. I've tracked it down to a website and encourage you to click on the link below. The author is Associate Professor of Sociology at Illinois State University and continuing Visiting Scholar at Stanford University 's Hoover Institution. She is Associate Professor of Sociology at Illinois State University and continuing Visiting Scholar at Stanford University 's Hoover Institution. She is a member of the American Sociological Association and the American Philosophical Association.

Dr. Wortham has published numerous articles on the implications of individual rights for civil rights policy, and is currently writing a book on theories of social and cultural marginality. She has also published articles on the significance of multiculturalism and Afrocentricism in education, the politics of victimization and the social and political impact of political correctness.



No He Can't

by Anne Wortham
November 6, 2008

Fellow Americans,

Please know: I am black; I grew up in the segregated South. I did not vote for Barack Obama; I wrote in Ron Paul’s name as my choice for president. Most importantly, I am not race conscious. I do not require a black president to know that I am a person of worth, and that life is worth living. I do not require a black president to love the ideal of America.

(snip)

You have elected not an individual who is qualified to be president, but a black man who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to – Do Something! You now have someone who has picked up the baton of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society. But you have also foolishly traded your freedom and mine – what little there is left – for the chance to feel good. There is nothing in me that can share your happy obliviousness.

Emphasis mine

More Here
Please follow this link to read the entire article.

3 comments:

  1. What is an "ndividualist liberal?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link as a place to start:

    http://www2.rgu.ac.uk/publicpolicy/introduction/politics.htm

    You might also want to Google "individualist liberal"

    ReplyDelete
  3. After going over a few of the blog articles on your site, I seriously appreciate your way of writing a blog. I added it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site as well and let me know your opinion.
    바카라


    >cc

    ReplyDelete