Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm Doing it for Them



I'm doing it for myself too, but ultimately it's our children and grandchildren who will bear the burden that our federal government is strapping onto our backs. Not just the financial burden, but even more importantly, the smothering weight of an oppressive, intrusive government.

I'm not an activist. I could have been. The 60's was the decade of my youth. I watched the world go crazy all around me then -- civil rights demonstrations, war protesters, Kent State, and more -- and had no interest in participating. Live and let live was my philosophy.

But here I am a few years later, ok, many years later, and enough is enough. On March 6, I threw my home made sign into the back of my car and drove to Salt Lake City to take part in a Tea Party (see blog entry below for that date). You know, it really felt right. It was a peaceful gathering, not an angry mob. Well, yes, those who took part are angry, as am I, but one can state his or her opinions in a respectful way.

So on April 15, I'll be ready with a new sign, and will participate in two Tea Parties:

City: Salt Lake City
When: April 15, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Where: Federal Building Plaza, 125 South State Street
Contact: EMAIL
Phone: Phone: 801-814-8963 (Adam)

AND

City: Provo
When: April 15, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Where: Old Utah County Court House, University and Center Streets

There's another in SL that I cannot attend:


City: Salt Lake City
When: April 15, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Where: US Post Office Salt Lake City, 1795 W 2100 S
Contact: EMAIL
Phone: 801.377.8224 (David)


To find a Tea Party in your area, check this link:

Tax Day Tea Parties

I realize that meeting with a group of like minded people and carrying signs displaying my opinion of the disgraceful lack of integrity of our government is only a very small part of what I can and must do.

As I type this, my 11 year old grandson called to ask me about the judicial branch of government because he had misplaced his pocket Constitution. I've been helping him to earn his All American Challenge at school, memorizing states and their capitals, the presidents in order, the Pledge of Allegiance, The Star Spangled Banner, the Preamble to the Constitution, the Gettysburg Address and an abbreviated version of the Declaration of Independence. Fortunately we live in the most conservative county of the most conservative state in the union, and we are blessed with schools that have not been quite as contaminated with liberal indoctrination as those in other states by the NEA and their state counterparts (please don't let the word get out!) My grandson's teacher places great emphasis on American history, and for that I am most grateful. Last summer when this grandson traveled with my husband and me on vacation, we talked often about the then-upcoming presidential election and the candidates and issues. He knows of my love for our country and as much as is possible for an 11 year old, he knows of the importance of protecting and defending our Constitution. Teaching our children and grandchildren about the origins of our country and helping them to understand their role in maintaining our freedom is probably our most important duty as citzens.

On April 15, I'm participating in two Tea Parties. For my grandchildren. So they will know that we all have a voice in our government, if we choose to express it. And they will know that I am doing my best to protect the blessings of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for them.

1 comment:

  1. Is there any Tea Parties planned for Ogden, UT. I'd like to participate, but have obligations that prevent me from attending in Salt Lake City. Surely there are Ogdenites who are interested in the Tea Party philosophy.

    Warm Thanks!

    ReplyDelete